The South Yarra Parish Pastoral Council first elected in 1970 is one of the oldest in the Archdiocese of Melbourne.
The membership of the Council consists of both ex officio and also elected and nominated representatives. The clergy are ex officio members. Pastoral associates may attend. Parish Committee representatives may attend by nomination and other parishioners are elected as members at the Parish Annual General Meeting.
The role of the Council is:
- To provide leadership by promoting the concept of Christian community
- To provide the Parish Priest and the Augustinian community with advice and to represent the views of other parishioners in respect to pastoral matters pertaining to the operations of our parish.
- To assist our parish leadership in planning for the future needs of the parish
- To provide practical assistance and support to our parish leadership in day to day pastoral activities
- To represent the parish in the wider community in both spiritual and secular activities
Council members include both clergy, committee representatives and elected members nominated prior to the Parish Annual General Meeting.
The Council meets regularly throughout the year to devise, plan and review pastoral programs and parish administration.
The Constitutions of the Parish Council may be found here.